ASP.NET Core is an open source, cross-platform and high-performance web framework to build the web application.which can be run on Windows, Mac or Linux operating system.
- A developer can build modern, cloud-optimized, IoT, Mobile Backends application using ASP.NET Core framework.
- We can develop and run ASP.NET Core application on Windows, Mac, Linux operating system.
- We can also deploy our application on the cloud or run on-premises.
- ASP.NET Core runs on .NET Core framework or .NET Standard framework.
- ASP.NET Core framework is a combination of MVC and Web API in a single web framework.
- Basic knowledge of C#
- Visual Studio
- Object Oriented Programming concepts
Advantages of ASP.NET Core
- Fast - It is a lightweight, high-performance web framework.
- Integration of Modern UI Framework - ASP.NET Core support modern, a Client-side framework like AngularJs, ReactJs and React with Redux etc. ASP.NET framework supports client-side framework templates like AngularJs, ReactJs and React with Redux etc.
- Hosting - It has the ability to host on IIS, Apache, Docker or Self Hosting.
- Cross Platform - ASP.NET Core web application can run on Windows, Mac, Linux development tools.
- Support Built-In Dependency Injection - It supports built-in Dependency Injection.
- Supports Modular - It support modular HTTP request.
- Open-Source - It is an open-source and community-focused web framework.
- Side-by-side app versioning - ASP.NET Core runs on .NET Core which supports the simultaneous running of multiple versions of applications.
- A unified story for building web UI and web APIs.
ASP.NET Core Environment Set up:
To develop ASP.NET Core web application, you need to install it on your system using the process defined below.
- NET Core SDK
- NET Core Runtime
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
ASP.NET core is part of .NET Core SDK. You need to install .NET Core SDK in your system.
If you work with Visual Studio 2015 then you can download .NET Core 1.0 and Same of .NET Core Runtime 1.0 version to support VS 2015.
- .NET Core SDK
- .NET Core Runtime
You can use either Visual Studio 2015 Or Visual Studio 2017 to develop .NET Core web application.
We will use Visual Studio 2017 to develop .NET Core web application.
Visual Studio 2017 - How to Install Visual Studio 2017 ?
You can download visual studio 2017 for VS Installer 2017. Click on this link to download the visual studio 2017 to work with .NET Core.
Once you open the given link in a new tab then you will open the page as above. Then click on ‘Free download’ link. Then the VS 2017 installer will get the download. After that click on Visual Studio 2017 installer and run as administrator. Then, click on the 'Continue' button.
Select the 'ASP.NET and Web development' template for Web Development OR '.NET desktop development' for Windows Forms and console app' to develop WinForm and console application using C#, F#, VB etc. from Workloads tab as in the image below.
Select the Individual components as per the requirement.
Select your language packs like 'English' from Language packs tab or you can select any language as per your requirement.
I hope this article will help you to understand the concepts of what is ASP.NET Core, Advantages of ASP.NET Core and ASP.NET Core Environment Step by Step.